Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday Card Challenge at Mothers and Daughters Creations



Hi All, and welcome to another sunny, warm, and wonderful spring day.

If this fabulous weather stimulates your creative muse the way it does mine, then check out this week's card challenge at Mothers and Daughters Creations. For a change of pace, Tamara offered us a sketch and she chose one that has a lot of versatility. I've had a lot of fun with it and hope to post another rendition or two of the same sketch later today!

For this card, I paired two different papers, Uber Persian and Turkish Delight from one of MDC's newest lines of Imaginisce papers, Exotic East. These are not your typical spring time colors, but aren't they stunning! And they are perfect for an expression of condolence no matter what the season. If you're concerned about stamping on the dark colors, don't be! I used Detail Black embossing powder with Versamark and as you can see, the results are striking.

The stamp I used for this card is from the Serensipity line, Queen Anne's Lace. I stamped the butterfly in the picture on a separate scrap of paper and cut it out and then mounted it on a pop dot to help it to stand out in the design.

With a dark (in this case, black) card base, you need to think about how you're going to finish the inisde of the card. I have embossed sentiments with Detail Gold and Detail Silver embossing powder, but it can be difficult to "sign" these cards unless you have a white, gold or silver gel pen.

Often, I will mat a white or coordinating light colored panel with the same papers that I use for the front of the card, but in this case, I chose to use the lighter of the two design papers and embossed in black. I also stamped and embossed edges of the stamp design around the edges of the panel. It takes it from plain to special and I love the effect!

I also discovered that the Prima Romantica papers and flowers coordinate well with this line of papers and today I am playing with the scraps from this project as well as some Romantica scraps and the Romantica flowers for another project. Join us for our Mothers and Daughters Mother Day Traditions Blog Roll where you can see the fabulous results!

2 comments:

Christi Flores said...

This is gorgeous!!!

Jerri Kay said...

A beautiful design Cathy! Love the stamps!