Friday, August 14, 2009

Sad news....

Well, I am very sad to report that a neighborhood cat discovered our babies and their nest. We had penned the area off to protect it from the dogs, never thinking that a cat might somehow find them. We don't even know who owns the cat, but early this morning, Toughie, one of our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, gave an alert that there was an animal in the yard and seemed to be chasing something.

In the early morning dim light, we didn't immediately see what had attracted his attention but a short time later, a very large orange tiger cat sat licking his chops just outside the fence and a quick look showed that the nest had been destroyed, our babies and the remaining eggs, gone.

Several times this morning, Toughie has alerted and has raced to the trellis where the cat was stalking the bird feeder.

I know that this is part of the natural world we live in, And I know that this is what cats "do". But I am sad that we didn't get the chance to see these little ones take flight and join the rest of the birds who favor us with their wonderful song in our garden.

2 comments:

Jerri Kay said...

Cathy, I am so sorry to read the tragic news of the fate of the baby birds. As you say, it is the circle of life, but sometimes it seems so harsh. I know your heart is sad for their loss. I pray the mother bird was away and didn't have to suffer watching the fate of her hatchlings and that she'll have many more before her life cycle is over. Hugs, Jerri

Cathy and Steve said...

Thanks so much Jerri. I can't get over how sad this has made me! It was so exciting to watch this little sparrow and her babes.

We knew that she was lame and unable to fly. I had been leaving food (sunflower seeds) under the plant near the nest for her. This afternoon, there are still a few seeds there where I left some more this morning after this happened. I just hope she has found safe shelter from the cat.