Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Shy Kisses - A Limited Supply Challenge

This week’s challenge from Mothers and Daughters Creations is a Limited Supply Challenge. With a Limited Supply Challenge, you are challenged to make a card using certain required elements and at the same time, restricted from using certain tools, techniques, or supplies that may be things you use all the time.

For this week's challenge, you can't use either Nestabilities or your Cuttlebug. (You can’t use a friend’s Cuttlebug either!) In addition to card stock, you may use only one patterned paper and one embellishment. For me, the Queen of Embellishing, that was a tall order! Also, you have to use two stamps and one has to be a sentiment. Whew!

For the "required" elements, I chose an adorable Stampavie image called "For You", a one-word image - "Kisses" - from Imaginisce, card stock from Core'Dinations, and patterned paper from Basic Grey's Granola collection.

I decided that I would tear and distress the edges of my paper since I had to sacrifice any embossing or scallops. I brushed the distressed edges of the card base and the torn edges of the Basic Grey patterned paper with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I left the torn edges of the blue card stock uninked because I like the light and darker blue contrast in those edges.

Once my image was mounted under the blue “frame”, I punched tiny alternating holes with a 1/16th inch hole punch on the blue card stock and striped patterned paper for the twine. Although I could have “sewn” it with a large needle, it was much easier to thread the twine through punched holes. To make it even easier, I put a tiny drop of dimensional glaze on the end of the piece of twine to make it stiff and prevent the cut ends of the fibers from fraying.

As a finishing touch, to bring out both the blue and the brown in the patterned paper, I off-set the image panel on the card base so that more of the brown card stock showed. I can’t take credit for the curl in the twine; it remained that way after unrolling it from the ball.

Be sure to pop on over to the Mothers and Daughters Challenge Blog and check out the Design Team's cards. Play the challenge and upload a card, and you could a win a wonderful treat from the MDC Store.

3 comments:

Christi Flores said...

Wow! All of your creations today have been awesome!!!

Leah said...

Such a cute card Cathy:) Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. How are you doing? We haven't chatted in awhile.

Mark's Finest Papers said...

Cathy, I've been browsing your blog! WOW! I love your cards, the tutorial and the VSN set up! WOW! you are very organized!