Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My First Valentine Cards of the Season

The newest stamps from Stampavie are out and several of the whimsical images are perfect for Valentine’s Day. I’ve had so much fun making Valentine’s Cards with them.

The first card I made features two adorable hedgies. Watercolored and then decorated with Martha Stewart’s fine gold glitter, love truly sparkles on this card. The lace edge is done with a Fiskars lace edge punch. I layered a strip punched from the dark red card stock under the punched edge of the card. Before adhering it, I brushed it with gold ink and dusted it with gold embossing powder. A few waves of the heat tool later, the gilt border adds a touch elegance.

These youthful skaters brought back wonderful memories of my youth. I grew up on a pond and ice skating was a favorite winter sport. I used Core’Dinations Vintage cardstock for the background and a scrap of one of the Bo Bunny holiday papers for the large striped panel. Valentine’s Day is a good time to use up some leftover holiday papers. The background was stamped with one of the “Snag’em Stamps” (Flower), from the Imaginisce line.

When making a card with a dark card stock base, I generally add a white panel inside the card to either stamp a greeting or hand write a note. You can quickly and easily add a few simple embellishments and a decorative edging punched from the scraps to make the inside of the card as warm and attractive as the card front.

My favorite of the three Valentine cards I’ve made so far is this one, which features “My Prince Charming”. I used some decorative punches and scrap paper to make the daisies, which are assembled from two punched daisy shapes and a “sun” shape.

I clustered them in front of the frogs, and also embellished the two tall flowers that form the left and right borders of the design. I scattered a few more daisies over the background panel and decorated them with a punched triple leaf.