Monday, December 15, 2008

Chanukah Scrap Book Pages



Today's scrap book challenge at Mother's and Daughters Creations (you can find the link to their challenge blog on the left under their logo) is to incorporate numbers or a list of things to do to count down what's left to do before Christmas.

I have this "thing" about scrap book pages - it's sort of like eating potato chips - I can never make just one. Even if the topics are different, I always make pages in pairs that coordinate at least in terms of color. It offends my eye to open a scrap book and look at two adjacent pages that don't work well together color-wise or worse, absolutely clash.

I made two pages for this design challenge featuring numbers, and since we are Jewish, I made them for Chanukah. There is not a lot of "stuff" out there for making scrap book pages or cards for Jewish holidays. But it's easy to incorporate almost any pretty paper into a Jewish theme. I used the Cricut Expression "Joys of the Season" cartridge to cut the menorahs, which are one of the primary symbols of Chanukah, the other being the dreidel. Blue is a popular Jewish color, and the Daisy Bucket paper I used has a beautiful shade of blue and a floral design that went well with my plan to make ornate numbers (also cut with the Cricut) and decorate them with flowers that I stamped and painted.

Why make pages ahead of time? This is such a busy time of year, by the time I finish making and sending holiday cards, cooking, cleaning, shopping, and entertaining, it’s hard to squeeze in the time to work on my scrap book. In Chanukahs past, I’ve even forgotten to take critical pictures! And then, after the holiday rush, I don’t want to go back and deal with holiday things. I’m eager to put everything away and move on to Valentine’s Day, Passover, and Spring.

Before an event or holiday, while am eager with anticipation, it's easy for me to be motivated to make the scrap book pages. So I often make the pages ahead of time and slip them into page protectors where they're ready for me to finish, which is a very quick task. When I do this, I take whatever extra little things I've made that I didn't use on the pages already, along with the scraps that are left over and if I have any left, a sheet or two of the design paper and card stock I used, and slip it all behind the pages I've made in their page protectors. That way, if I want to add anything or even make some extra pages, everything I need is handy.

Chanukah is late this year; it begins on December 21st and ends on December 28th. During the eight nights of Chanukah, I’ll take pictures and it will be a simple enough matter to sit down at some point and download them, print out the best ones, and add some journaling or a recipe or two, even as we celebrate the holiday. Since I may want to adjust thesize or placement of the picture boxes slightly, I have adhered everything with removable glue dots for ease in both repositioning and adding pictures. Once I get all of my pictures set the way I want them, I’ll secure them with permanent dots or adhesive and add them into our family album.

Now, all I have to do is to remember to keep the pages handy and take the pictures!

7 comments:

Leah said...

Great LO! Love the colors and good for you doing it ahead of time! I never seem to be able to do it...:)

Christi Flores said...

Wow!! Your pages are gorgeous!!

Kathryn said...

This is so Beautiful!!

Happy Chanukah!

Take care
Kathryn

Kim Newberg Imagesbykim said...

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for stopping by my squidoo lense on ATC's and for you lovely comments.

if you want to have some fun, why don't you come and join us on PDA
Paper Digital Art and Imagesbykim
a forum for collage artists with a love of digital and paper stuff

here is the addy
http://artandimagesbykim.ning.com

((((hugs))))
kim

Nancy said...

Your blog is gorgeous, as is your garden! I wish you had a Follow option on your blog since the RSS feed does not seem to want to go to AOL. You do beautiful work. Nancy

Hetty said...

Hello Cathy!
What a wonderful pages for Chanukkah! I wish you chag sameach and hope they are filled with beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, your scrapbook pages are so beautiful! I admire you for your scrapping! I have so many pictures that I need to get on pages, but never seem to get to. One of these days . . . LOL!